Search Site

What if You Can’t Afford Your Child Support Payments Anymore?

At the time your child support amount was decided, the court felt that it was a reasonable amount that you would be able to pay. However, circumstances can change, and you may become unable to keep up with your child support payments. Maybe you’ve lost your job or have experienced other extreme financial hardships like the need for expensive medical treatment. You don’t want to default on your payments and face legal consequences, but you just can’t afford child support like you used to. If this is your situation, you can petition the court to modify your child support agreement.

For your child support agreement to be modified, you must show that there has been a significant change of circumstances, such as:

  • Your child no longer qualifies for child support
  • You are experiencing a verified, permanent disability
  • There has been a change in childcare or medical insurance
  • You are experiencing a significant change in your income due to a job loss or other circumstance

If your income has changed drastically, to the point where you cannot keep up with your child support payments, this may be sufficient to have your child support amount adjusted, allowing you to make smaller payments that reflect your current financial circumstances.

In order to request a child support modification, you must provide a written notice to the child support office that oversees your case. Hiring an attorney to help you draft your written request at this stage could be helpful. Even though you can submit a request for modification to the Oklahoma Department of Human Services (DHS), only a judge is allowed to modify a child support agreement.

Lindsey Law Firm, P.C. in Tulsa, Oklahoma understands the unique concerns presented by family law matters, especially when children are involved, and can help you seek a child support modification. To schedule a free consultation about your child support case, call 918-587-0097 or contact the firm online.

Office Location
  • Tulsa Office
    1612 S Denver Ave.
    Tulsa, Oklahoma 74119
    Phone: 918-587-0097
    Fax: 918-587-3763
contact us